Saturday, September 1, 2007

Hello from Japan!

I’ve come to Japan through the Japan Exchange and Teaching (JET) Program, which is run by the Japanese government. JET sent me to Joyo City in Kyoto Prefecture. It is halfway between Kyoto and Nara Cities, which are both ancient capitals. Kyoto is known as the cultural center of Japan and is said to have thousands of temples and shrines.

I’m an Assistant English Teacher (AET) and as soon as school starts I’ll be working in 2 middle schools and 5 elementary schools. I’ll have to tell you more about that later because it’s summer vacation and so far my main responsibility has been to sit…at a desk…in the city board of education office…and do…nothing. Of course if I can find something productive to do, that is encouraged, but there is literally NO work for me to do. I wouldn’t even be of help to any of the busy civil servants in my office since I’m not fluent in Japanese. Fortunately there are two other AETs who share my position so we keep each other company. I try to busy myself with reading, doing research about vegan food in Japan, playing sudoku and studying Japanese, but I always get bored and sleepy.

My life outside of work has been just as exciting. I watch a lot of Japanese TV and in two and a half weeks I’ve already finished 4 novels (besides the one I read at work). I have had a series of welcoming events including a tofu taco party hosted by a guy who came here with JET in 1994 and has pretty much stayed. He has his own English language school for people of all ages.

I finally got internet service at home today, so let the blogging begin!

No comments: